What I Read Wednesday: Fat Girl Walking

 This might be a meandering journey to a book review, but bear with me. 

Rachel is my brain twin. I have many great and wonderful friends, but when it comes to being twins in a way other than biologically, in some sort of Patty Duke identical cousins "think alike" sort of way, no one compares to Rachel and I. 

When I first came across the blog, brittanyherself.com, I first read each and every post I could, blowing off household responsibilities to read late into the night. Then I shared it with Rachel. She immediately confirmed what I already knew: Brittany was obviously our best friend, but she just didn't know it yet. 

For the past two years I've followed Brittany's blog, instagram, and facebook, devouring every post. I related to her in so many ways. I've referenced her in this blog (namely here: http://www.lindseyjane.com/2012/11/flight.html ) when she saw into my soul with her post on fear of flying. Her posts on accepting and loving yourself fed me at times when I needed it, which is all the time since most of us women beat ourselves up about our looks constantly. Her candor and honestly about the true lives of moms and wives and women were a revelation in the midst of articles, magazines and pinterest posts of perfectionism and the unrealistic aspirations we have of immaculate homes, trophy-wife bodies, and Food Network-worthy baked goods for classroom parties. 

Then, she wrote a book. "Fat Girl Walking." And I bought it the day after it was released and read it in entirety in one day. 

I laughed, I cried, and I nodded silently in agreement. 

I loved it. And in full-disclosure, I must tell you I was a skeptic. I know that bloggers write books now somewhat regularly after some blog success, and I secretly thought it might be a let-down. Yes, the blog was great, but could she write an enitre book of stories that were not already blogged? Could she add newness to the experiences she'd already shared and that I'd witnessed in real time as they happened on social media? 

The answer is YES. 

At first I thought that maybe I was biased since I know that Brittany is actually a brain-triplet with Rachel and I. But on further review, I don't think so. As I have looked over at the finished hardback on my desk over the day, I thought each time of a different friend I needed to recommend it to, as the chapter on this or that would be so useful to whichever friend I was thinking of. 

I don't want to give away too much, so I won't review the book in typical fashion. I won't say much about what specific stories are told or why they were so powerful. I want the experience to be genuine for each woman who reads it. But I will say, read the blog first. Look through some posts and get to know Brittany.  I think it will enhance your enjoyment of the book, because like me, you'll realize she's your best friend and you'll read the book as if it's a conversation over drinks where your close friend bares her soul and her childhood, and her struggles and her successes. And you'll feel empowered to be more and do more. 

A while back, I sent Brittany a facebook message sharing my love of the book I read that helped me with my fear of flying. And I expected to never get a response but hoped she  would glance at it, and pick up the book. I don't know if she did, but for ten minutes or so, she and I messaged back and forth over facebook and I had a real conversation with my new virtual BFF. :) 

I want to reiterate: I'm objective. I can realize when my fandom impairs my judgement. But in this case, despite my fandom, and in spite of my skepticism, the book did not dispappoint. Instead, it was more than I'd hoped for. Please buy it, read it, or borrow it from me, but make sure you return it because I'll read it again. 


Comments

  1. Thanks for the information, I was doing a google search and your site came up for fear of flying.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts