Work Travel

I've never had a job before this that required travel. And I really like it. It makes me feel sorta important, allows me to connect with colleagues I don't get to interact with regularly, and gives me the opportunity to see new things!

However, if you haven't traveled much for work, you may not be aware of the challenges.

Personally, flying is still not my favorite, though I do pretty well compared to how I used to freak out about flying. But aside from flight anxiety, it's still pretty exhausting. Getting to Salt Lake City, Utah from Indiana is generally a full day of travel. For example, on Sunday I was traveling for more than 9 hours. That's a long day of stressful flying and navigating airports and figuring out what to eat quickly with a 20 minute layover.

Then, once you get to the hotel, you are generally stuck. I don't have a rental car, and there's not much within walking distance. It's not the worst, because I don't NEED to go anywhere... but the inability to leave can make you feel a bit claustrophobic!

Then, the all-day work meetings followed by evening dinners can be draining. Super fun with the colleagues I have, but still pretty tiring, especially for someone who usually works at home, alone.

All that said, it's still a huge blessing! I'm in beautiful Salt Lake, surrounding by snowcapped mountains. I'm treated to free breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I get to hang out with some of my favorite people that live around the country.

I am also dealing with a little bit of time-zone change issues. It's 12:50 a.m. in Indiana, but here it's only 10:50, so I've only been back in my room for a bit and am still wide awake from the busy day.

All in all, I fly out here about 5 times a year, and could do it a lot more and be really happy about it. :) The only thing that could be better is if the location changed here and there to places perhaps a tad warmer in the winter months.

To conclude, I leave you with some of my favorite work travel pics.






Comments

Popular Posts