School Days

Today was the first day of school for my kids.

Because I work from home, I've been around the kids a lot this summer, and it's been great. I love having them around, even if it's only them watching tv in the next room. We've been preparing for today, buying school clothes and supplies (I'm broke now, by the way) and they have been anxious about it, as they were both in a new school today--Emma in the larger high school campus, and Ethan now at middle school. But knowing that I'll never buy crayons for school again, and knowing that I no longer have little kids was a bit tough!

I remember dropping Emma off for the first day of kindergarten. I remember volunteering in Ethan's classroom and seeing him sitting on the carpet in a circle for storytime. I used to go to lunch with them at school. Now they'd just kill me if I tried to show up.

I offered to make pancakes for breakfast. Ethan wanted to have cereal, and Emma just wanted a glass of soy milk.

No one needed me to fix their hair or walk them to the bus stop.

Just a couple years ago I dropped Ethan off at the elementary school in Matt's Mustang so he could get out of a cool car at the school. Now he'd rather ride the bus.

Once Emma fell asleep on the school bus in kindergarten and the bus driver discovered it and came back by (as I frantically called the school!) and now she is riding to school with a senior that lives two houses down.

It's going to be over before I know it!

Life is nothing but constant change. That's great in many ways, but there are a lot of days I wish I could freeze my kids in time and keep them in elementary school. I'm afraid I'm going to forget what that time was like!

Comments

Popular Posts